October 4-10 is national Fire Prevention Week. Fires are a risk to all operations in the solid waste industry including collection, processing, disposal, and at manufacturing facilities.
- Review your fire prevention plan and emergency action plan.
- Conduct fire extinguisher training and evacuation drills with employees.
Trucks and Mobile Equipment
- Clean debris from in and around the engine and behind the cab.
- Check battery terminals and cables for wear.
- Inspect hydraulic lines for leaks, cracking and wear - especially those near the exhaust system.
- Equip the vehicle with a battery disconnect and a fuel shut off (CNG Vehicles).
- Ensure a fire extinguisher is available on/in the vehicle.
- Housekeeping. Keep dust and debris from around motors, electrical panels/controls and other ignition sources.
- Maintain a safe area to discharge a hot load.
- Keep flammable and combustible chemicals in a proper storage cabinet.
- Use a Hot Work permit system for welding and grinding.
- Maintain a smoking-free workplace or have a designated smoking area.
- Ensure fire extinguishers are available and accessible.
*Blog courtesy of National Waste and Recycling Association. For more information visit https://wasterecycling.org/